Tummel Bridge and Loch Tummel
TUMMEL BRIDGE AND LOCH TUMMEL
Popular with anglers and campers, and sporting the Loch Tummel Sailing Club on the south side, the loch is 11 kilometres long. It has roads running each side from which can be enjoyed beautiful views of the countryside round about, including the famous Queen’s View on the north side of the Loch which offers a splendid view west up the loch to Schiehallion.
Above the head of the loch is the village of Tummel Bridge where the old bridge crosses the River Tummel. This original bridge (now pedestrian only) was built by General Wade in 1730. It has a modern replacement alongside carrying the traffic from Aberfeldy. Notable visitors who have stayed in this area include Mendelssohn and Swinburne. The northern side of the loch has many duns, forts and cairn circles. At the eastern end, high in Glen Fincastle to the north, sits Fincastle House, a 17th-century seat of a branch of the Stewarts, with links to the 1745 rebellion. At the head of the glen are the standing stones of Clachan Aoraidh in the Allean Forest.
The village of Tummel Bridge has a small permanent population and is home to the large Tummel Valley Holiday Park.
The village has one of the first power stations for hydro power built in Scotland, around 1930, which is now a listed building.