Shed Gallery - Ian Biggs, Photographer

Kinloch Rannoch

Kinloch Rannoch village is situated at the east end of dramatic Loch Rannoch.  It was founded in the 18th century after the Jacobite rebellion. The main square was built in the mid Victorian period by Sir John MacDonald of Dalchosnie. 

The village has an excellent general store, The Country Store, a lovely cafe: Riverbank Cafe, hotels: The Dunalastair Hotel Suites and the Loch Rannoch Hotel, and interesting churches and a children's playground.

There is a nature walk, a beautiful waterfall that is easily accessible and the obelisk in the square is to Dougald Buchanan, an 18th century evangelist, Gaelic scholar, and poet.

The location for the standing stones in the first season of Outlander is in the district.  The stones do not exist in reality but the site is an ancient bronze-age homestead.

Rannoch Highland Gathering

On the third saturday in August, the Rannoch Highland Gathering is held in the Weller Poley park in the village.  You can watch tossing the caber, putting the shot, highland dancing, tug-of-war and you can even enter for the hill race, a race up Craig Varr which towers above the village. There are races and fun for children too.

Many other events take place in Kinloch Rannoch during the year. 

For Kinloch Rannoch Village Walks see Walks page

Our current Local Information Leaflet is available in shops and hotels. 

Kinloch Rannoch
Rannoch Highland Gathering

The Monument in the square. 

The obelisk is dedicated to Dugald Buchanan: 1716-1767         

Buchanan was an evangelist, Gaelic scholar, and poet.  His inspired teaching, with the message of God's love and peace, was a light of hope to strife torn Rannoch.  His kindness and patient example won the hearts of all. 

When the new village of Kinloch (Rannoch) was built north of the river, he was given a small cottage near the school, and his young family joined him in 1764.  His wife helped by teaching spinning, to aid the new local linen industry. He and his family died of the plague 1767. 

Before the obelisk was erected, a gallows stood for many years in the village square in the days of Buchanan.  

Rannoch Bridge

The inscription on Rannoch Bridge reads "THIS BUILDING ERECTED A.D. 1764 AT THE SOLE EXPENSE OF HIS MAJESTY OUT OF THE ANNEXED ESTATES"  it was a piece of propaganda intended to demonstrate the personal generosity of George 111 and improved stewardship of the estates forfeited after the '45 . (1745 – Culloden – last land battle fought on uk soil)

Rannoch Hills